Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Birth Story

It was scheduled that I would go in Sunday night, April 19, 2009 to start cervidil.

B and I got to the hospital at 7:30, checked in and got settled into my what would turn out to be home for the next 5 days.

8:30pm
Internal showed I was about 2cm and 50%. Nurse administered the cervidil. She said that they would leave it in for 12 hours. And in the morning, I could shower and grab a light breakfast.

9:30pm
I started having a bad case of the shakes. I called my nurse in and told her that I couldn't stop shaking. She asked if I was cold and I said I didn't think so. She said it was most likely the hormones making me shakes b/c you don't shake like that until you are in labor.

10:30pm
Internal showed I was 4cm and 70%. I told my nurse I didn't feel well. So I thru up. Then I felt much better.
She said she wasn't getting good reading on the external belly bands and she wanted to do an internal to get a good heart rate on Baby Cakes. Whatevs.

11:30pm
After that was all said and done she came back in and asked if my back hurt. I said well yea, but I just thought it was the bed. She asked how I was feeling and I said fine, just crampy, which I thought was normal from the cervidil. NOPE. She said I was contracting every minute. So I got a shot to slow things down.
12:00am
The OB came in to do an internal and said I was 5cm and about 70%. She asked if I wanted the Epi and I said hell yes. So I got the epi and I barely felt anything. She said that at this point I should contract about 1cm every hour, so around 5am I would be 100 percent and ready to push.

B called the parents and told them what was going on and that he would keep them all updated.

At 3am, my mom showed up. She was so excited she couldn't sleep. So she came in and talked to me for about a half hour.

3:30am
Nurse came in and I, well Baby Cakes was ready to go. At 3:45 she asked me to give a few good pushes. OB was watching the monitors and every time I tried to push Baby's heart ones dropped to 90. The OB came in and did another internal and said that my pelvic is tilted and it was straining the baby while he was trying to get out. She said the best option for baby was a c/s. Which I was fine with. I wanted to do what ever was best for baby.

Here is where I lose track of time. All I remember is being wheeled down to the OR and getting the spinal. I remember B coming in and holding my hand and I remember looking up at the light b/c I could kinda see what was going on. It seemed like it took FOREVER!

5:12am
Doctors held up the baby and said "well dad, what is it?" B said "It's a boy and we both just starting crying. It was the most wonderful and overwhelming feeling ever! I will NEVER forget it.
B went with the nurses and Brendan to do all the clean up and what not while I was stitched back up.
5:45am
I was wheeled back to the room and waited for B and B2 to come in. We shared about a hour together and then B went out to the waiting room to get the family.

I was sitting in the bed holding Brendan and B walked over to me and said "everyone, I would like you to meet Brendan Emerson" Everyone started crying and saying its a boy, its a boy.

And that is how Brendan made his appearance into the wold on April 20, 2009.

No comments: